Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pink Lemonade

A friend asked me a question recently that I thought I could address here: "Where does pink lemonade come from, because I have never seen a pink lemon?"

Well, Bryan, first off let me inform you that pink lemons do exist. The Eureka lemon has yellow skin, pink flesh, but clear juice- so no luck with the pink lemonade there.

After some quick (and might I mention, not so scientific) research, I have discovered that Native Americans first made "pink lemonade" from the Sumac plant. Now a days pink lemonade is made with red juices, grenadine, or just good old food coloring.

I hope that answers your question.

I found an interesting article in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition this past week, so if I remember to bring it home from work I will enlighten you all! Happy eating.

1 comment:

  1. What on earth would sumac-aid taste like? Lets make some next month!

    Also, thanks for the answer. You are a food genius!

    ReplyDelete