Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mango Salsa

Next weekend is labor day and I am heading to Provo for a weekend-o-fun with my old college friends, I can't wait and in my anticipation I started preparing for the trip today. I don't think there is a better place to start than with food :) I know that I will be eating a whole bunch of junk food, a minimum of 2 late night Wendy's runs, plenty of Diet Coke, and smiley face fruit snacks, so I thought I would contribute something (relatively) healthy-- Mango Salsa. I will post the original recipe below, but I adapted it a little bit today, mainly because I left my grocery list at home.

Start by dicing some onion.

Add some diced red bell pepper.

I forgot how hard and annoying it is to cut mangoes. It works best for me to cut the flesh from around the pit (the pit won't just pop out like an avocado). I discovered it does work pretty well to take the skin off with a spoon, my knife was taking off too much of the good stuff!

Next add a finely diced jalapeno pepper, you could also use a serano pepper, those tend to be a little more spicy. (I seeded mine because I'm a wuss when it comes to spicy things.)


I added a whole can (minus what I couldn't help myself from eating) of pineapple and a whole can of peach halves, both roughly chopped.



Last, but definitely not least, a few tablespoons of lemon juice and lots of cilantro, and other mango because I have lots of hungry friends.



I made almost 8 cups of mango salsa! I guess the real test is how much will actually make it to Provo when I have to look at in the fridge everyday.

Brittany's Mango Salsa:

2 mangoes
1 c each roughly diced canned peaches and pineapple
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 c sliced green onions
1/4 c snipped cilantro
2 Tbsp lemon/ lime juice
1-2 jalapeno/ serrano peppers, seeded and diced

No comments:

Post a Comment