Sunday, July 5, 2009

Food on the Fourth (and the third!)

Lucky for me I was invited to my brother-in-law cabin for the 3rd of July to celebrate the holiday. We had a blast! My mother taught me not to show up to something empty handed, so I tried out a new recipe for rolls. They were a hit.

Oatmeal Rolls--

1 cup oatmeal
2 cups boiling water
3 Tbsps. butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 1/2 tsps. salt
2 Tbsps. yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups flour

Mix first three ingredients and let cool. Add sugars, salt, yeast, and warm water. Add flour. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Let rise in large bowl for at about an hour. Punch down, then form into 20-24 dinner rolls. Put in greased 9x13-inch pan. Let rise again. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350F. Brush with butter while still warm.

(Hint: Once you put the rolls in the pan, let them rise for at least 30 minutes before baking, and they will be fluffy and delicious!)

Before we enjoyed our own private fireworks show (Thanks Margaret and Brett!), we chowed down on brisket, scalloped potatoes, salad, and make-your-own ice cream in a bag. We all ate way too much, but you are allowed to do that on holidays, right?


I came back to Idaho Falls for the 4th and again enjoyed some scrumptious food. We made hamburgers and strawberry shortcake (with home-grown strawberries). I was even able to catch some of the Melaleuca Fireworks. Did you know that Idaho Falls is home to the biggest firework show west of the Mississippi? I didn't, but even from 3 miles away it was amazing!

I hope everyone enjoyed celebrating our freedoms as much as I did- and that we will all be able to fit into our pants tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. All of the food you ate sounds so GOOD!
    Also, I'm glad to hear that you had a great 4th of July.

    I had a food question, and knew this is where I should come.

    My question in about cinnamon.

    Why is cinnamon hot/spicy in foods like gum and gummy bears, while it is not hot on things like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Snicker Doodles?
    I tend to dislike the hot cinnamon and really like the Snicker Doodle kind.

    What's the difference?

    ReplyDelete